We all come in different shapes and sizes. And being a size 2 or 4 doesn’t necessarily mean you’re healthy! Being a healthy weight has a lot to do with many factors not just your clothes size or the scale. It comes down to diet, exercise, effort, consistency, etc. To me, I think it’s more important to look at your body composition (fat versus muscle) than the weight on the scale!! Because you’ll see all kinds of different healthy/unhealthy shapes at for example, 150 pounds!
So now that we’ve covered “skinny” doesn’t mean healthy …
Obesity has been a big problem in our country for years. And with all of the strides we’ve made as a country to eat cleaner, organic, vegan, buying from local farmers markets, restaurants adding nutritional information in their menus … I mean even McDonald’s has included healthier options … I just can’t believe this new report!
I read this article feeling like I could cry. 😢 We’re becoming a more obese nation?!
What the heck?!
There is a trend of obesity & we need to fight together to END IT. 💪
Doesn’t matter if you’re an online coach like me, a teacher, a corporate manager, a police officer … it ALL starts with YOU. And it starts at home. And we can do it together!!
You can have ALL the tools in the world available to you, but it start
s with the individual being informed and then making a DECISION and COMMITMENT to make a CHANGE.
And of course if you’re a parent, you make a HUGE impact on your kids. Your kids may not care what you SAY, but they do 👀WATCH👀 what YOU DO … including what type of groceries you buy and the types of foods you prepare.
Did you know that being overweight or obese increases the risk of a variety of major health issues, like Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease?! Also … extra weight can make people more vulnerable to certain types of cancer. At then end of the day, it’s not about getting into that bikini!!! It’s about YOUR HEALTH!! The more you weigh, the greater the health risk you have.
Listen. You don’t have to get all crazy on me now and spend TONS of money on fad diets, buying all these crazy “eat this watermelon for 80 days straight and you’ll lose weight” type of diets. (I hope you know I’m being sarcastic here?!)
Trying to change too much all at once can be SUPER overwhelming. And if you feel super overwhelmed, you’ll
either avoid taking action … or you may start but not stick with it.🙅🏻
I got you!
💁🏻Here are a few suggestions. Just choose ONE. After you conquer that one … then add another. When you got those TWO down, add a third. Just keep layering.
1) Lace up your sneakers RIGHT NOW. Do a 15 minute workout. Just something. That’s it! 15 minutes!! It can b
e as simple as going for a walk as a family! Bring your dog too! – haha…. and if you can’t right at this moment … go after work or later. But do it TODAY!
2) Fill your family’s plates with a big serving of leafy greens (spinach, kale, arugula) alongside a lean protein — let’s NOT be another generation of meat, potatoes and gravy!
3) Candy, ice cream & cake does not need to be a reward for a “job well done” in school. Instead, reward your kids with a trip to the movies, or a new toy … or even better an outdoors activity where they family can interact!
4) Pack a lunch
5) Ditch the soda. Right now, get that crap out of your house!!! Sorry to tell ya, but that also includes diet sodas!
6) Go outside and so something. A sport. Run. Bike riding. Just get OUTSIDE! Remember how going outside was THE thing to do before the internet took over the world?!
7) Find an accountability buddy! If you don’t have one … you can definitely find one in our awesome FitGirlsRock Community by clicking here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FitGirlsRock/
8) Let’s view our bodies as our HOMES for the rest of our lives — not just something we are lucky to have. 💜
Remember this isn’t about having a “perfect” fitness body. Nope! If you have been reading my messages … you know I’m all about getting healthy INSIDE and OUT and embracing YOUR unique beauty. And getting healthy, strong and empowering yourself.
I think we can all work together to ENCOURAGE one another that being healthy should be the norm, right?!
And let me tell ya something … we can ALL improve our health in one way or another – doesn’t matter if you’ve been in the game for a while, or you’re just starting out.
So what are you gonna start with? One of the suggestions above? Something different? Comment below and share with us! Would LOVE to hear your first (or second or third) step! ☺️